Sunday, March 13, 2011

I want to...I WANT TO...I WILL :) :) :)



Ok peoples...so I want to do a 5k...I've never been a runner in my LIFE. My brothers have ALWAYS made fun of me for how I run and how slow I am...so ya...I don't like to run. Not to mention my weight...chest size...and being out of breath. So????
Well since I've started thinking more of my health and exercising and trying to do better...Ryan & I have decided we want to do a 5k this year. He'd like to do a marathon at some point...but I'm not there yet!! Good luck babe!!! :) :) I'll stick to 3 miles for now...NOT 26 :) 
Anyways...I've been researching and seeing when some 5k's are happening out here...and I've found quite a few...Some in April...May...July...so??? I've got time to work up to it!!!
Since I have time...I posted something on Facebook to see if my "all-knowing" friends and people out there could give me some advice or info!! I don't know if it's something you have to train for?? I would guess so...seeing as how I can't just get on the treadmill and run for 3 miles...so??? Well one amazing friend...Karla...told me to check out THIS site...and it had good info on it!! Well I've spent the last 20-30 minutes reading all about it and figuring out how I can go from "Couch to 5k"...I CAN DO IT!!!
So here we go...starting this week on this plan...and hopefully in 8-9 weeks I will be ALL ready to RUN a full 5k??? Wouldn't that be sweet!?!?! I think so!!! Here's to getting into even BETTER shape and having something that Ryan & I can do together!! Well kind of...depends on the kiddos...but we'll be working towards the same goal at least!!!
If anyone out there wants to join in...the more the merrier!! I don't know for sure which ones I'll do...but I WILL be doing one!!!

8 comments:

Karla said...

I heard the lavender days 5k is gorgeous. I think I will look into that one too. plus they have fun lavender crafts you can do after. Double bonus.... Or so I hear.

Party of Five said...

I thinks it's funny you mention this now... I just talked to someone yesterday about wanting to train. Now that it's nice, I want to start running in the morning. The stouffer's 5k is June 1st, and then the Lavendar 5k is usually in july, and yes it is beautiful, plus they have lots of stuff for the kids to do! I am so excited for you and would love to be a training partner for ya!

Mike and Jana Black said...

I've done two 5k's and they're fun and the lavendar one sounds fun, we'll see if I can do that one.

Party of Five said...

found this for ya!http://www.utahrunningguide.com/races/

I was thinking the Thanksgiving Point one April 30th.

AnnaMarie said...

Cool! You'll love it! Good luck training!

Trent and Janel Lyman said...

YOU CAN DO IT!! If I can do it anyone can. :) Just start slow and keep a good pace. I have a hard time running on a treadmill, it's way too boring for me, I like road running myself. Have fun!

CaradonandtheBoys! said...

I've done three total. The Running with Angels that I told you about through Thanksgiving point is gorgeous, so is the Lavendar days one, and it is also on a big of an incline, so a little harder. I also did the one for summerfest here in Orem. It is just through a neighborhood, and pretty boring. I only did that one cuz it supported the fire department of Orem. I will totally do some with you. I love it! And I have never been able to run one the entire time. That is my goal this year.

Talyn said...

My favorite race out there is the Linda Buttar's Memorial Fun Run. It's only $5 and almost entirely flat. I also ran the Rex Lee, Strawberry Days, and WJ 4th of July so I can let you know what I think of those. Kevin ran some up in the canyons off of Utah Valley so let me know if you're wondering about some of those.


I did the couch to 5k but wasn't able to finish my first race running the whole way. After Carolyn gave me a big email lecture (Don't worry, I asked her to) I realized it was because I was doing the running segments too fast. So, if you can't run as long as they tell you to, SLOW DOWN. There's so much more happiness bottled up in finishing a race having run the whole thing than in running it fast. One thing that helped me was to monitor my heart rate and keep it as low as it should be. Let me know if you need to find info about how fast your heart should be going. A good rule of thumb is that you should be able to have a conversation without gasping, but you shouldn't be able to sing. For me it also helps to keep my breathing in pace with my steps. I try to train with three steps per inhale, three per exhale. You might be slow, but you'll be able to finish it. (Bonus tip: if you exhale on your right foot you're less likely to get cramps.)

My sports bra makes much more of a difference for me than my shoes. I jumped around a really lot in an REI dressing room, but I found one I love love love. Don't be afraid to act goofy to test it out. I promise you it'll be worth it. (Mine is a Moving Comfort, but that brand has some that only work for...people built differently than we are. ;)

I bet you'll be surprised how far you can run now that you've been doing Zumba. It's all cardio and Zumba is an *hour.* :) You might also be surprised to find out after you run a few races you're hooked on running. It happened to me.

Oh! Having a running partner makes a huge difference. It's too easy to skip your run without one. Even if you don't run together having someone expecting you to show up makes a big difference. My running partner doens't run with me. She watched my kids while I run and visa versa. I love it.